You can’t live in my house and be unfamiliar with the name Jeff Kinney. Because of his wildly popular Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Jeff Kinney has been my son’s favorite author for years. The Boy’s love for those books left him wanting to know more about Jeff Kinney and the story behind Wimpy Kid, and in turn led us on a hunt for resources for a Jeff Kinney Unity Study.
(This post contains affiliate links; please see disclosure for details.)
When it comes to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, there’s a whole slew of resources to choose from. Book studies, lapbooks, comprehension resources, you name it. It’s not quite as easy to find resources for a study on the author himself, though. Here’s a look at what I came up with for our Jeff Kinney Unit Study.
Jeff Kinney Unit Study Resources
1. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series – Chances are you’re pretty familiar with these if you’ve found your way to this post. If not, the first place to start is by borrowing the first book in the series from your local library. A quick visit to Amazon could also get you started with this unit study.
2. Who is Jeff Kinney? – my wimpy kid loves this book and still talks about the things he learned from it. This short biography from the Who Was? series is a great resource for your Jeff Kinney Unit Study.
Jeff Kinney Biographical Info
Beyond Who is Jeff Kinney?, I recommend the following websites for biographical information:
- About the Author page from WimpyKid.com
- Jeff Kinney Q & A from Scholastic Kids
- Jeff Kinney Wikipedia Entry
Jeff Kinney Video Resources
I put together an entire playlist of video resources on YouTube. These videos range from Jeff Kinney Questions & Answers to the story of how Diary of a Wimpy Kid came to be. You can follow it here: Jeff Kinney Unit Study Playlist
Get Creative with Jeff Kinney
Has Jeff Kinney inspired your wimpy kids to get creative? If so, here are some fun ideas to check out:
- How to Draw & Write Like Jeff Kinney YouTube Playlist from WimpyKid
- How to Draw Greg from Diary of a Wimpy Kid from Art for Kids Hub
- Write Your Own Comic Strip from Scholastic (PIN it here)
Additional Jeff Kinney Unit Study Resources
- My Jeff Kinney Printable Pack – You can access this printable pack in the Subscriber Resource Library using the password in your most recent email from Table Life Blog. Not a subscriber? Become an email subscriber to receive the weekly email and access to the Subscriber Resource Library.
Get Your Jeff Kinney Printable Pack!
Sign up here to become an email subscriber, receive your Jeff Kinney Printable Pack, and have full access to the Subscriber Resource Library.
- Jeff Kinney quotes from BrainyQuote – These would be great to use for copywork in your unit study.
- Jeff Kinney Crossword Puzzle (PIN it here) – This is a great activity to go along with your study.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movies – The Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies would also make a fun addition to your Jeff Kinney Unit Study. They would work especially well with The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary since Kinney shares “how Greg Heffley went to Hollywood” in this book.
- The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book – My son absolutely loves this book! The Do-It-Yourself book guides kids in creating their own Jeff Kinney-style masterpiece by allowing them to write and illustrate their lives in the pages.
Did you know that Jeff Kinney’s birthday is February 19? He’s not the only one with a February birthday, though. Be sure to stop by iHomeschool Network to see more Birthday Lessons in February.
2 thoughts on “Jeff Kinney Unit Study”
This is a great idea, my son will love this. Really enjoy reading your site as we are also a homeschooling family x
This is great! My two older boys really enjoy Jeff Kinney and his books; I never thought to turn it into a unit study!
Comments are closed.