*I received a complimentary copy of this book for review.
Post contains affiliate links; see disclosure for details.
Chivalry is dead. You’ve probably heard that saying before and have sighed thinking to yourself, “it’s a shame” or “too bad we can’t do something about it.” The thing is that you can do something about it if you’re raising sons.
In fact, you have the unique opportunity to show your boys, your knights in training, what chivalry is and why it’s worth resurrecting in our society today.
Don’t get me wrong, there are big challenges that go along with raising boys in today’s culture. But those challenges are the reason it’s so important to teach our sons what manhood is and what honor, courage, and compassion look like in today’s world, despite the fact that we don’t see much of these traits on display.Chivalry isn't dead. Answer the call & raise boys of honor. #knightsintraining #chivalrymovementClick To Tweet
That’s why I’m so excited to share this Knights in Training review with you today. This one is a game-changer if you want your sons to embrace the men that God has called them to be.
Knights in Training Review
When Heather Haupt wrote Knights in Training, her goal was “to provide a common language and a roadmap for this exciting journey of boyhood so that one boy and one family at a time, we can restore civility and courageous compassion to our communities.”
You see, we may not be able to do much about the world around us, but we can change the culture within our homes. When we choose to define the standard of manhood and raise the level of expectation in our families, one by one and little by little, we create a shift in society. You might even call that shift a Chivalry Movement.
Yes, friend. We can change the course here. We can make chivalry the standard for raising boys.
A New Generation of Knights
In Knights in Training, the practical application of chivalry shows up through the Knight’s Code of Chivalry. This code is the roadmap for raising this new generation of knights and it’s the central theme of the book. Here are the tenets of the code:
- Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
- Obey those in authority over you.
- Stand against injustice and evil.
- Defend the weak and protect them.
- Respect the honor of women.
- Refrain from wanton giving of offense.
- Speak the truth at all times.
- Be generous and willing to share.
- Persevere and finish the task at hand.
- Pursue excellence in all you do.
This code has the power to affect this generation in powerful ways. You see, I want to see these principles in my son, but also want these things for my daughter’s future husband. That’s why the message of Knights in Training matters. That’s why it’s more than a parenting book; it’s a movement.
Practical Tools for Raising Today’s Knights
Raising knights and resurrecting chivalry sounds great, but gone are the days of steeds, armor, and quests. So how does all of this happen in 2017? Through Knights in Training, Heather gives practical suggestions for raising boys and embracing chivalry. Here are a few things she addresses:
- Awareness – This includes tips for helping kids use their words wisely, understanding justice and injustice, and developing observation skills.
- Obedience – Heather challenges parents to be thoughtful with instruction and consistent with our expectations to follow-through. She also challenges parents to be examples by respecting authority figures such as teachers, elders, and politicians.
- Avoiding Offense – Tips for teaching table manners, getting along with others, and learning to listen are all included.
- Respect for Women – As the mom of an eleven year-old boy, this chapter gave me fresh insight and the tools I need most in this season of parenting. Heather shares thoughts on how to protect the dignity of the women and how that in turn protects the dignity of our boys. She also tackles the tough, but crucial subject of pornography and gives excellent advice on how to train kids to handle it even when they come across it innocently.
Knights in Training Bottom Line
Knights in Training is a must-read if you have sons. Even though my son is in his tweenage years – in between teen and child – I learned of countless ways to prepare him to become the man God has called him to be. Through this book, I was also encouraged and hopeful because of Heather’s passion for instilling timeless values in our boys’ hearts.
Once again, this isn’t just a parenting book. It’s a movement and it’s one you need to join.
Join the Chivalry Movement
Ready to learn more about this Chivalry Movement? You can snag your copy of Knights in Training on Amazon or through your other favorite booksellers.
You’ll also want to get connected with Heather Haupt. You can do that through her website and by following her on your favorite social media platforms using the links below:
Lastly, you can get connected by following the #knightsintraining and #chivalrymovement hashtags on social media to see how other families are answering the call to raise boys of honor.